Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is granted for comparable course work completed at other accredited institutions of higher education at a "C -" grade or better provided that course content relates directly to a student's program of study.

Other ways in which a student may be eligible for transfer credit is through credit for prior learning.  For more information regarding credit for prior learning, please contact the Center of Alternative Studies and Educational Testing.

For information about transferring from NSCC to another institution, visit Transfer Services.


Contact your previous college(s) and request official transcripts be sent to NSCC: 
Enrollment & Student Records 
North Shore Community College
1 Ferncroft Road Danvers, MA 01923


If the institution is using an authorized delivery agent to send transcripts electronically, please have them emailed to Note: NSCC will not recognize electronic transcripts sent by the student as official.

Upon receipt of your official transcript(s), we will evaluate your coursework. The Enrollment Office will grant transfer credit for equivalent course work completed at institutions of higher education that are accredited by a regional accrediting agency.  There is a separate process for institutions that are not regionally accredited.  These transcripts will be reviewed by the Center for Alternative Studies.  

Please note that the transfer credits process takes approximately 1-3 weeks and may take up to 4 weeks during peak periods.  Once evaluated, you will receive written notification of the courses for which you were granted transfer credit.

NOTE: There is a separate process for transferring courses from a foreign college or university.

Frequently Asked Questions

What courses do you accept for transfer credits? 
Generally, transfer credit is granted for equivalent course work completed at institutions of higher education that are regionally accredited and in which a final grade of "C- or better is earned. There are some exceptions. For example, some Academic Programs have specific requirements for the granting of transfer credit for core professional courses (such as nursing courses or paralegal courses). If your transcript is from an institution that is not regionally accredited, it will be reviewed by the Center for Alternative Studies – however, your transcript should still be sent to the Enrollment Office.

How does my transfer credit apply to my Program of Study? 
When transfer credit is granted, it is given an NSCC course code. For example, if you took a course entitled General Psychology at another College and received a C - in the course, it is transferred in and will appear on your NSCC transcript with a NSCC course code, PSY102, with a grade of "TC -" for transfer. If PSY102 is listed on your program of study sheet, then it applies toward your program requirements.

NOTE: Transferred courses transcribed with "T + the letter grade," are not included in the calculation of your NSCC grade point average (GPA).

Why didn't a course transfer into NSCC?

  • You didn't receive a final grade of " C - " or higher.
  • The course(s) is not equivalent to NSCC course(s).
  • You received a grade of "P" for passing (unless the transcript defines P as being a C - or higher, it will not transfer into NSCC. You will need to get documentation from the College that the final grade was a C - or higher).
  • The course(s) was taken at a non-accredited College
  • The course did not apply to your Program of Study
  • You are not matriculated (enrolled) in a Program of Study

How can my transcript be re-evaluated due to the College’s new policy of accepting C- grades for transfer (effective July 1, 2019)?

Email and request that your transcript(s) be re-evaluated specifically for courses with grades of C-.  In the Subject Line type: Re-evaluation of transcript for C- grades.  In the body of the email, please include the name of the college and the courses you wish to be re-evaluated.  Providing course descriptions will expedite the process.  You will receive written notification once your transcript has been re-evaluated.

How can I appeal my transfer credit award? 
If you are questioning the credits transferred into NSCC, please review the above information. These are some of the common reasons why you may have not received transfer credit. If you determine that none of these reasons apply and wish to appeal your transfer credit award, please email

In the Subject type: Re-evaluation of transfer Credits. In the body of the email, include the following: the name of the course; the course description; the College/University where it was taken; and why you are requesting the transfer credit. Attach course descriptions and syllabi for the courses you wish to be re-evaluated. This information will be forwarded to the Transfer Credit Evaluator for re-evaluation. You will receive a decision via your College email account within two weeks of receipt of your email containing all the required information.

I want to take a course at another College and transfer it back to NSCC. How do I get prior approval to do so?

You must email the name of the College where you will be taking the course, the course code, and the course description to You will receive an email response within two weeks with a decision or requesting further information to complete the evaluation for prior approval.

I sent in my transcript for evaluation and never heard anything 
We need an official transcript to evaluate transfer credit. If you sent an unofficial transcript, you will not receive a transfer credit summary until you submit an official transcript (see above for instructions to do so). For new or perspective students, if you are not enrolled in a Program of Study at NSCC, your transcript will not be evaluated. For readmits/Reverse Transfer students attempting to complete your degree, you need to submit an application to graduate before your transcript will be evaluated.

How long does it take to evaluate an official transcript? 
We always strive to perform the evaluation as quickly as possible. However, the evaluation times vary according to the time of year. Generally, it takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks from when we receive the official transcript to when we notify you regarding what transferred into NSCC. Although every effort is made to ensure timely evaluations year-round, the volume of transcripts requiring evaluation increases during busy registration periods, thereby, impacting evaluation turnaround-times. If you need a transcript evaluated, submit it as soon as possible to ensure a timely evaluation so that you and an advisor can determine the appropriate course selection for you.

How many credits may I transfer into NSCC? 
Students must meet NSCC’s residency requirement, which means that a minimum of 25% of your program of study credits must be completed at North Shore Community College. All remaining credits may be transfer credits.  For example; For a 60 credit program student must complete a minimum of 15 credits at NSCC. This applies to both degree and certificate programs. 

Will the courses that I take at NSCC transfer to another College? 
This is solely up to the College that you are transferring to from NSCC. You should contact the other College directly to determine how you can have your questions answered. If you are interested in transferring to another College our Transfer Advisor may be able to assist you with questions. Please visit the Transfer Services page for further information.



Image of campus

Ready to Begin?

Apply Visit Us Request Info